In this post i am going to install Hyper-V on a Windows 10 Enterprise box using powershell rather than the conventional GUI based method.
A Hyper-V Host is a computer that runs your virtual machines, bear in mind you should ensure the host is equipped with an abundance of resources such as RAM and hard disk space essentially. You can install Hyper-V on Windows Server 2016 Server Core or on the Desktop Version of Windows.
- Open Powershell with Administrative Privileges and type the following
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V -All
- Once you click return you are then prompted to restart the computer to complete the operation, enter Y and click enter (Ensure you have backed up any running documents and no windows updates are downloading
- Once your PC has rebooted you will see Hyper-V Manager located on your start menu under Windows Administrative Tools>Hyper-V Manager and Hyper-V Quick Create
Alternative via Settings
- Right click on the Windows button and select ‘Apps and Features’.
- Select Programs and Features on the right under related settings.
- Select Turn Windows Features on or off.
- Select Hyper-V and click OK.
- Again you need to reboot for the changes to take effect